Defending casualised staff during the pandemic
- that many HEIs will terminate the contracts of precariously-employed staff (including hourly-paid GTAs/PhD students) during the Coronavirus crisis, who will find it nearly impossible to secure alternative employment;
- the #CoronaContracts demand for 2 years secure employment for all casualised staff to ensure they are not left without employment or income during the crisis.
HEC resolves to:
- Launch a national campaign to defend jobs.
- Circulate the CoronaContracts petition to all UCU branches along with bargaining advice including a reminder that permanent staff should not cover work formerly done by casualised staff;
- Instruct the GS to write and circulate an open letter to Vice-Chancellors, UUK and UCEA pointing out the inhumanity of terminating casualised staff contracts during a pandemic, and demanding that they refrain from doing so, and to similarly call on research funding bodies to fund research staff for the next 2 years.