We hosted a live virtual hustings for CoronaContract to put our questions to UCU’s candidates for VP and LGBT+ representative, and decide who deserves our vote. Watch the full recording here:
Questions: Round 1
- What have you done to campaign for secure employment in FE and in adult and community education?
- Every year many colleges put just a few staff at risk … what should UCU do to stop this eating away at working conditions and pay?
Questions: Round 2
- What would you do to combat the trend of privatisation and help us deal with private education providers?
- What would the union do to tackle unpaid research labour of PGRs and represent PGRs who arent teaching?
Questions: Round 3
- What would you do to make illegal the use of “objective justifications” for casualised contracts beyond 4 years?
- Were you aware of the permanent staff pledge, did you sign it, what were your reasons? Did you help promote it in any way?
- What would you as VP do to resource campaigns to unite permanent and casualised staff?
Questions: Round 4 (from the floor)
- Are you as candidates going to support the action on Thursday against mass redundancies?
- What have candidates done on casualisation, what has your position been on Four Fights and strategy since April?
(specific part of Q to Gareth: why did you bring a motion to special sector conference seeking to split Four Fights from USS dispute?)
- Marian Mayer, Dr Victoria Showunmi, and Peter Evans raised the issue of race and racism in their election addresses. Why have [the other candidates] not done this?